International fame has never been a focus for 24-year-old Melbourne musician
Woody Pitney. But that hasn’t stopped the self-taught singer/songwriter from
paving an unconventional pathway to a growing fan base across the globe. He
truly is a textbook example of the internet’s impact on the shifting music
After several years cutting his teeth around the local Australian music scene,
Woody worked hard to develop his craft and perfect the unique flavour of Pop/
Folk his fans have come to love. In late 2013, he took to his bedroom studio to
record his debut EP ‘You Can Stay’, releasing it with a sell out show in both
Melbourne and Sydney.
To help promote the title track, he recruited some friends to help him film a
music video for ‘You Can Stay’. The song went on to receive acclaim from local
and international blogs such as IndieShuffle, The Ripe and adamNOTeve
among others. This formed the catalyst for reaching new fans around the world,
leading to over 500,000 views on YouTube and over 500,000 plays on his
respective Spotify & Soundcloud profiles.
The online success led to contact from a German advertising agency, who
synchronised his song in what was one of the biggest TV campaigns across
Germany, Switzerland and Austria in 2014 (for an online travel company called
weg.de). This helped Woody secure international radio airplay across Europe
and saw ‘You Can Stay’ single top the iTunes charts across various countries
throughout their Summer. On the back of this, he was approached by a number
of major record labels and eventually signed to Universal Music Germany,
on a worldwide deal (one of the only Australians to ever do so).
With a new album on its way in 2016, Woody has been recording in Melbourne
with John Castle (Vance Joy, Megan Washington) and in London with
Charlie Hugall (Ed Sheeran, Florence & The Machine). Woody hopes it will
be a busy year of gigging, promo and travel in 2016.
In 2014 an 2015, Woody spent most of his time travelling around Germany,
promoting his music and performing gigs. Some of the highlights include:
• Headlining Obstwiesenfestival in Ulm, Germany - Performing to a crowd
• Performing at the Wanderland Music Festival in Manilla, The Philippines.
• Topping the iTunes charts in several European countries including
Germany, Austria and Luxembourg.
• Opening the German Volleyball Grand Final to over 15,000 people in
• Opening for iconic German artists ‘The Wise Guys’ to a crowd of
10,000+ in Cologne, Germany - performing solo
• Opening for iconic German artists ‘Brings’ to a crowd of 10,000+ in
• Being interviewed and performing live on Germany’s biggest commercial
TV and radio channels.
• Shocking the German public with a flashmob in a Cologne shopping
• Performing at clothing label GANT’s season launch parties in Munich
• Performing at the LOL’14 Festival alongside Daryl Braithwaite &
Stonefield in Melbourne, Australia
• Performing countless headline shows around Australia, including sold-out
shows in Melbourne & Sydney for ‘The Afterdust Tour’ in 2014.